Friday, February 23, 2007

"Sock exchange sox" and Yarn P0rn

I don't usually do a blog entry for Yarn P0rn Friday, but this week I actually have some yarn p0rn to blog about and it just so happens that it is still Friday!

Recently I fell in love with some sock yarn I saw on ebay, so couldn't resit buying it. It arrived the other day from Yarnwise. I bought 3 x 100g skeins of 75% wool and 25% polymide sock yarn. There is approx 400 metres to each skein, so more than enough for a pair of sox.



This one is called "Fresh mint" and is a mix of deep and pale sea-green with a hint of aqua.





This one is "Lagoon" and is a mixture of deep and pale turquoise with also a hint of aqua.




The Fresh mint and lagoon look similar in these pictures but actually there is a suttle difference!



The third skein is called "amazing amethyst" and is a mix of deep and pale purples and pinks with a hint of blue through it.



I recently took part in a sock exchange on knitty, and knitted a pair fo sox for Kimberly. I can now post the pix since she has recieved them. We both agreed to keep them secret as we love surprises. I wanted to use a British yarn, so I searched around till I found one which "spoke" to me!!!!

I decided to use Colinette Jitterbug, which I had never used before. Kimberly said she like jewel tones so it was Jitterbug jewel that I used. Jitterbug is 100% Merino easy care wool and comes in 100g hanks of approx 267m. JUST enough to knit a pair of sox!!!!!I bought 2 hanks, so I have one left to knit a pair of sox for me too!



The jitterbug tends to "pool" its colours but I think it just adds to the uniqueness of the sock. I designed my own pattern, combining small cables and a lace stitch. I'll have to post it later as I can't find my notes for it at the moment!





I have a couple of other pairs of sox on pins at the moment, a 2x2 rib in lovat green and a bright yellow stripe pair in monkey from knitty. I have also been asked to knit a pair of walking sox for a guy at work......He has size 11 feet!!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

WOW...I love those colors! I'll have to check them out on Ebay! I like those socks...I like how the colors pool!

2:24 am  
Blogger Peri said...

Lovely yarn and yummy socks!

Size 11 feet - those aren't going to socks - they're going to be wool wellies!

10:41 am  
Blogger Batty said...

Lovely socks! what happy colors!

And the yarn is dreamy too.

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how the Jitterbug pools! The other sockyarn is a dream too. Can't wait to see how that knits up.

7:12 am  
Blogger Emily said...

Size 11 eh? You are a braver woman than I!

11:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've bought a part skein of Jitterbug from ebay. It's 75g so I hope to get a pair of short socks for my dainty size 4's, Yours looks lovely and I look forward to seeing how those 2 colour ones knit

9:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the pooling is lovely! That's what I like about handpainted sock yarns. :) Great job, Shona! :)

5:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home