Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Lest we forget

This week sees the 90th Anniversary of the end of WWI and some of you may or may not know that I have a special interest in both World Wars and in genealogy in general and have, for the past 15 or so years been involved in doing my own family tree. This is currently a “work in progress”! However, I digress, over the past few weeks I have been involved in some research within the rugby club archives, looking for any players that were Killed in Action during WWII. There are none from WWI as the club wasn’t founded till 1921. This also is a “work in progress”!!

LEST WE FORGET.

To mark the 90th Anniversary of the end of WWI, I would like to post some poems (over the next few days) as a tribute to the brave men and women who gave up there lives that we can live ours, and to those who were left at home, not knowing what was going on and when or if their loved ones would return.

The first poem I have chosen is called Battlefield Nurse by Dolores Ryan Rutland.

BATTLEFIELD NURSE

When will it end cried the nurse that night
As she sat on her cot alone
How many more will be felled in the fight
How many heartaches will be sown
Why am I here in this Hell on earth
How do I face one more day
I’m here for a reason God only knows
Are my nerves strong enough for the stay
Seeing these bodies all ragged and torn
Broken and bleeding and blind
Miles from their loved ones
Calling for help
I’ll stay for this special kind
Pour me some coffee for I hear a plane
And I know there will be one or two
Who will need me tonight in this tent with no name
Yes, I guess God I’m here for You.

This poem is dedicated to all Battlefield Nurses who are the Angels of Mercy in wartime. D R Rutland.

The reason I chose this one first is that I was a nurse in Queen Alexandra’s Royal Nursing Corps (QARANC)for about 6 years, thankfully all during peacetime. However a lot of my training was in preparation for war. I was a Nursing Officer, starting out as a 1st Lieutenant attached to a Field Ambulance Unit, then to a General Hospital, latterly I was a Captain attached to the Gordon Highlanders and spent some time in Germany with them. In fact I was one of the first female officers attached to an Infantry Unit! One of the worst moments for me was when I had to come home and inform my parents that I had been called up to go to the 1st Gulf War, thankfully I got a reprieve and didn’t have to go. This must have been a terrible time for my parents, as my brother, who was in the RAF was also on stand by. Thankfully he didn't have to go either, but I did have quite a few freinds who were in that theatre of war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home