Friday, March 21, 2008

The Sea.

I just love the sea. That is one of the main reasons why I love the flat I live in, coz I couldn't live any nearer the sea, unless I lived in a boat!!! I suppose the sea is "in my blood", I'm the daughter of a fisherman, who is decended from generations of fishermen, dating back to the 1600's!! I have a great respect for the sea and I love watching its different moods and its different colours. Today is stormy and I was totally mesmerised as I watched the waves lashing the shore from my kitchen window. I then braved the elements (between snow flurries, yes I know its Good Friday, but according to the weatherman, we are to have some snow over the weekend!)and took some pix from my back garden.

Looking towards Musselburgh from my back garden.

As the majority of my regular readers know I like poems and one of my favourites is by John Masefield, so decided to add it to this post, since it was about the sea!

I Must Go Down to the Sea

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

- John Masefield





Both taken looking out towards Fife and the Firth of Forth from my back garden.





This one was taken from the promanade at Portobello (just along from Musselburgh) when I took the boys to the leisure centre there this afternoon. Ronan spent an hour working out in the gym and Robert had a swim, and I sat in the gallery and knitted!


9 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

WOW...I can almost smell the salt air! You're one lucky gal!!

Hope you guys have a very Happy Easter!!

8:28 pm  
Blogger Torhild Reidardatter said...

Hi there.
I am drawn to the sea as well. I grew up in N.Norway and the sea has always played a gigantic role in mylife.I will get a place close to the sea one day, I just know..
The poem is so lovly.

12:26 pm  
Blogger Torhild Reidardatter said...

It´s me again.
I just wanted to say I am very flattered by your comment- I am fairly new in this business( almost a year) but I like blogging- I like you blog too. can´t wait to get to know you a little better.
And you live in scottland!! I always wanted to go there.. someday I will.:-)
see you around.

12:31 pm  
Blogger Batty said...

That's just beautiful! I love the colors and the smell and the taste of salty water when I accidentally get some in my mouth... or just walking along the shore when it's too cold to go swimming. You're very lucky. I wish my apartment had a view like that.

5:44 pm  
Blogger ra said...

Beautiful. I'm from the English midlands but I love the sea; it's the openness for me. Big skies and lots of space. I should go more often.

10:50 am  
Blogger mazzam again said...

My Dad used to quote that poem. 'I must go down to the seas again - and summat'
He was from Yorkshire and not really of a poetical bent but I did a cross stich embroidery for him of the first verse which delighted him - but he still never memorised any more....

6:57 pm  
Blogger Seona said...

It's a beautiful part of the world that you live in! I love the views over to fife and the views back from the other side when we get over there too.

8:07 pm  
Blogger joan said...

A computer glitch has lost your email address for me but my beautiful sock arrived today with the little gift of Peter Rabbit post its. I love Peter and the gift bag and sock are so special. I hope you have my email so we can communicate again. I will be blogging shortly once things get back working for me. Many thanks.

Joan

2:50 pm  
Blogger Wibbo said...

I love that poem! I've just moved to live by the sea - your sea photos are really lovely.

9:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home